Sunday, September 30, 2012

Do Your Earrings Match Your Face?


Earrings are a lot like clothes. You like the style that you wear because you feel comfortable wearing it. We usually stick to the style and cut of clothes that we know works best for our bodies. High-waisted, low waisted, boot-cut, flare leg, empire waist, fitted, baggy, etc.  If you have worn tiny little sleeper earrings everyday for twenty years, chances are it’s hard to get out of your comfort zone to try a new style. 

Today I wanna chat about how to choose a pair of earrings. It has a very similar process as how we choose the clothes we wear (or how we SHOULD choose the clothes we wear). Did you know that based on the shape of your face; there are certain recommendations for what style earrings you should wear to maximize your best features? It makes sense, that since we wear earrings so close to our faces, an earring should complement our face shape!

How to determine your face shape?

The first thing that you will need to do is look in a mirror and take some measurements of your face. More specifically, forehead, cheekbones, jaw line and from hairline to chin. Or you can look at this list below, while looking in a mirror, and make some comparisons with length and width.

Here is a guide to determine your face shape. 

Length = width.....................................................................................Round

Length = 1.5 x width............................................................................Oval

Length = width (but more angular than round shape)..................................................................................................Square

Narrow jaw with wide cheekbones and/or forehead..............................................................................................Heart

Length longer than width....................................................................Oblong

Face is widest at cheekbones............................................................Diamond

Ok, so now that you have figured that out, take a look at some of these recommendations for different earring shapes and styles based on your own shape!

Round

If you face is round, it is best to choose long and lean angular curves. It will help to elongate and lengthen the look of your face. You can wear drop earrings and dangles. Geometric shaped earrings are a very good option. But try to avoid small studs, hoops and large chunky earrings.  

Oval

You are in luck! An oval shaped face can handle pretty much any style of earring! You can experiment with dangles, teardrops and studs. But try really hard not to wear anything that is too long and super narrow. This shape will add too much length to the look of your face.

Heart

It is important for you to look for earrings that start narrow and widen at the bottom. Earring such as teardrops, chandeliers, triangle shapes will all work well for you. Even hoops will work well with your face shape as long as they don’t taper to a point at the bottom. The only thing to avoid should be short heart shaped earrings.

Square

The best earring shape for your face would be anything with a round shape because it will help to soften your face. You will have plenty to choose from, as the only thing that is really recommended to avoid are harsh angles or square shapes. Dangles, long tear drops, or multi-tiered dangles with help to give a square shape some length.


Oblong

A simple stud or chandelier earring will look best on you! Any 3-D earring will add fullness to your face and help to widen it to a more even look. Also consider circular, triangular (with the point up) and square earrings. And try to avoid earrings that are flat or dangles that will add even more length to your face.


Diamond

The best earring style for this shape is anything short and wide. Studs and small drop earrings will work well for you. The only thing to avoid is long and thin earring styles. They will add too much length to your face and discourage the widening needed at the jaw line.



As I said earlier, all of these things are recommendations. I am by no means saying go clean out the ol' jewelry box and leave behind only the styles that match perfectly with your face shape. Even though I think this information is very useful to have, I think that you should also love what you love, for yourself.

If you are reading this now and thinking "uh-oh...I only wear earrings that I am not supposed to wear!!" Don't freak out. It only matters what YOU think and feel when YOU put them on. BUT, I do recommend trying out a few different shapes and styles (maybe something out of your comfort zone?) and see how they make you feel.

I still struggle following these guidelines. I have been a stud girl for most of my life. I now know I have a heart shaped face and I should be wearing more danlges and hoops to accentuate my facial features better. I still love my diamond studs and I WILL wear them whenever I want! (I'm stubborn like that). But I love experimenting with new styles and I have been finding that I like styles on me that I never thought I would.

You will never know unless you try!

Life loses its meaning when we get stuck up in comfort zone.
                                                                                             ~M.K. Soni~

Much Heart-Shaped Love,

Kate

Oh and P.S.- Check out the "Shop" link to my Etsy store at the top of the page! I may just have a little somethin' somethin' in there that will match your face perfectly! And if I don't, and you are looking for something specific, feel free to send me an email at minebykate@gmail.com and I will see what I can do for a custom pair, just for you!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment!