Wednesday, May 29, 2013

The New Rules.



So, after my last post Notta. Nothing. Zilch. Something., I have been working hard to come up with a way to provide Mine with a bit more structure. I am not sure if this will be a permanent change or not, but it feels right for right now, so it shall be.

I want to broaden my horizons and give myself the opportunity to be more focused. After reading a lot about creativity, and examining what I have been feeling about this experience as a whole, I have come to the conclusion that I have absolutely NO RIGHT to give myself such a huge "canvas" and an unlimited supply of "paint". That’s not what I need.


Right now, all I need is a piece of loose leaf and a pack of crayons (so to speak). I need to make it a bit easier for me to write more consistently. I know that Mine is the place where I am going to (as my mother would say) “get all my ducks in a row” but I need to actually be here and publishing words in order to do that.

So, in an attempt to do something totally fun, awesome, inspiring and RIGHT FOR ME…

I give you:

THE NEW RULES

Rule#1 – I must commit to writing at least 12 posts per month. If I do not do this, then a little purple alien will break into my house in the middle of the night and stick probes in my brain and turn me into an alien so they can take over this blog and then of course, Earth. Or, I will just feel bad and guilty. Either could happen.

Rule #2- I will write out all topics on paper, cut and crinkle them up (teacher style) and put them in a dish. I will then (approximately 3 days a week) draw one out of the dish (without looking of course) and that shall be the topic that I will write about for that day. I will return the topic to the dish, and it will be available to pick again the next time. So there could be back-to-back posts from The Book Brag (See Below), depending on what comes out of the dish. Get me?

Rule #3- Follow the rules. 

SOUNDS kinda fun, right? I am probably WAY more pumped about this than you, but take a little look see below and I am sure that you will find some topics that might interest you! I promise to keep things real and original and make this a fun place to hang out while you sip your afternoon hot beverage. 

Love, 

Kate



Blog Topics
(Which, for future reference, can be found on a tab at the top of the page)


The Summer Side
I live in one of the most beautiful places on Earth. For this post I will be showcasing something that is going on in my city. My interest here is learning more about what’s happening in my community and also to promote Maritime living at its finest! It could be anything from a virtual tour of our sports facilities, or a trip to the Lobster Carnival! 






The Book Brag
It’s no shock that I love to read but I would love to share what I am reading with you! I will give you the low down on what I have been flipping through! It could be a sultry novel, a self-help book, a dress-makers manual, an Astronomy 100 text book, or a manual for an Easy Bake Oven! Ya never know what I might be into on any given day!



 



Say Cheese!
I love to take pictures of what’s happening around me. (Follow me on Instagram!) Pictures allow me to go back and feel like I am there in that moment again. I am extremely nostalgic so it’s great for me. For this post, I will be posting a picture taken from that week, and will provide a brief description (within 1000 words, because that’s what a picture says…) of what is happening. It will be a fun way to get a glimpse into the day and the life of yours truly!




Role Model Round-Up
In the world we live in it is hard to open a newspaper or browse a news website without seeing stories that punch you in the guts on a daily basis. The world is full of violence and pain. But if you look really closely, you will see a few stories about people that are really trying to make a positive difference in our communities or people that are truly an inspiration. I will use this post to shine the light on one of these people, because in my opinion, they deserve more attention. 





Mommy Rants
I get to talk about my kids here. I know, right? Totally awesome! Topics could range from potty training (oh wait, I already talked that to death) to behavior issues to picnics in the park to hairbrush hell! It could be absolutely anything! My two girls are quite the little rigs to hang out with so in order to know me well, you should get to know them a bit too!







Wifey Rants  
I get to bitch about my Hubby!! Totally awesome! HA-HA-HA, no it won’t be all bitching (some...maybe). I love being a wife. I love my husband. Our relationship is always evolving and I love every minute of it. Sometimes we will go through things that will be worth sharing for the sole reason of hilariousness, OR because I learned something amazing about being a wife and I would love to share it with you.






Hubby Rants
Yes, you read that right. I am going to have a guest blogger every blue moon, named HUBBY! I want his perspective, and you will too because he is a funny guy. I want him to hang out here at Mine because you know how the old saying goes… “What’s mine is yours!” I want to SHARE! He doesn’t know about this yet… So Shhhh…I want it to be a surprise!
  




A Makeover Story
I am all about re-using and recycling. I love taking something old and transforming it into something new! For this post I will show you something that I have already transformed. It could be a couch cushion or my own hairdo, an article of clothing, or an entire room in my house! I’m looking forward to this one, a lot. 


 



Feed The Booty - Shake The Booty
I am not an expert on health or fitness. To be honest, I am a recovering couch potato. I am currently going through the process of transforming the way I look at food and exercise. I am a beginner in this field, but I would love to share with you some of the tips and tricks that I find are working for me to become a healthier and more physically fit woman.  I will also post about programs, articles and things that I think you might love too!





Oh Happy Day 
Ever just take the time to think about what really makes you happy? For this post, I will take that time, write about it, and then share it with you! Thinking about the small things in life that make me happy helps me to get through some of the bigger unhappy moments in my life. It could be anything from my favorite coffee whitener (which is French Vanilla), to the sweet sound of my daughters giggling together in the back seat.





TheKateTrain
I have lived in Atlantic Canada my whole life, and I haven't been much of a world traveler. The farthest I have reached is Ottawa where many of my family members live or have lived. For this post, the researcher in me has decided to devote an entire post to discovering and exploring a new place in Canada. I will close my eyes and point to a map and I will base a whole post on this pointed-to place. I have always wanted to travel, but now with two kids and LIFE it isn’t easy. ALL ABOOOAARD!




The Craft Room
We love crafts! I don’t do them very often anymore so I thought this would be a great way to get back into it. I will most definitely be involving Pumpkin and Bear for these posts as they are the true craft geniuses in this house. I will also include some of the more grown-up crafts that I love, like crochet, knitting, sewing, and of course my jewelry making!





 
Video BLOG 
Hey, a girl needs a break from the keyboard! I’m getting carpel tunnel over here. The topic will be anything that I want. Hey, a break from the rules is OK once in a while! Now, just gotta figure out how to make a video...hmmm..







PapaKateZzi
One of my guilty pleasures is celebrities and all their drama. You know you love them too. What is more entertaining than the drama, the fights, the scheming, the weight gain, the pregnancies, the weight loss, the cheating, and the good stuff? For this post I will be examining something super dramatic (obviously) going on in the Hollywood world. It will be a nice change of pace and will (of course) feature my perspective!





Love, Mrs Know It All
Ever just want to tell someone like it is? You know, YOUR OPINION, because its obviously the right one? (or so we think). And you feel like the world (or a person) could totally benefit from a tongue lashing from you? Well, I do. SO… here is where I will do it!








TRENDY S.O.S.
I'm not very "Hip". I am one of those people that doesn't really understand trends very well. I am never current on what's cool, and hip, and trendy! This post will allow me to take a look at something that is trending right now. Whether it is a certain style of shoes, or new funky color, or even piece of electronic equipment; I want to stay current, and I am hoping this will be my saving grace.


 
In with the old
Being nostalgic is one thing, but the love I have for all things old, is well... serious. For this post, I am going to feature something I love that is vintage, or antique, or retro. It could be anything from old toys, sewing patterns, broaches, fabric, or earrings! Understanding our past is the key to our future, and its FUN!







Earth to Kate
I like our planet. It fascinates me on daily basis. I didn’t grow up in a time when recycling was mandatory, but as an adult, I have learned the importance of taking part in the mission to save the planet. I like learning more about initiatives, the science behind climate change, and all the new ways people are coming up with to take better care of our Earth. This post will review articles, concepts and provide something that we might not have been aware of.





Kate’s Kitchen
I should have been a chef. I love love love to cook. It is one of my greatest passions. I am a no limits kind of cook, and most of the time it comes out edible too! Well, at least my husband says it is. But then again he would eat anything, so who knows! This post will feature a new recipe I have tried, or a new kitchen utensil, or maybe even a new technique I have learned. Again, not claiming to be an expert, but I am passionate about it, and if that inspires YOU, then great!  




Just Us Girls
I grew up as one of four sisters, and I have always had a large group of girl friends throughout my life. I also now have two nieces and of course two daughters! Girls everywhere, all the time and I wouldn't have it any other way! This post will feature something fun and interesting; just for the girls (of all ages)!





 

The FREAK OUT
I'm not gonna lie, sometimes I freak out. This post will be about a freak out. It might get crazy, it might be sad, it might be happy. But it will definitely be about a FREAK OUT! And if I am currently not freaking out about anything, then it will be about a past freak out. Which I am sure won't be too far in the past.

...
This is an open post which allows me to add any other topics that I want in the future, because do you know what I have learned lately?

Variety is the spice of life, but too much variety hurts my brain

Even though I am creating more structure with my postings, I also need to make room for change. 




Mine. 
This topic will not be drawn, it will be chosen when I need it. I am allowed to throw this one in whenever I want. It's more or less a Kate's Choice option.  I need to have this ability (just in case, ya know, an alien attack or something happens. I have no other topic that would cover that).

2 comments:

  1. Great idea! I (usually) create an editorial calendar for myself a month in advance and try to stick to it, but even then I typically fall behind. My goal is one post a week, but I would ideally love three.

    ReplyDelete
  2. After do this, I realized that I could have just done it for myself (behind the scenes)but then I wouldn't have the accountability factor there. So I am hoping this motivate me! Thank you for commenting!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment!